Make Your Own Pipe Chimes
The concept behind making your own pipe chime set may actually be easier than you might think. It may, however, take you longer than you had hoped to make sure they are done right. Below are a set of instructions to make 23 pipes (#0-22). You can easily get all 23 pipe chimes out of the materials specified below.
- 1/2” standard steel electrical conduit (outside diameter = 11/16”), you’ll need a quantity of two 10’ pipes to get pipes 0-22
- Something to hold chimes: string, ribbon, leather cord, boondoggle, etc.
- Drill bit (size depends on how you wish to hold the chimes)
- Pipe cutter ($7-$10)
- File/sandpaper for smoothing edges
- Tape measure or ruler
- Free printable pipe chime labels
Tip: Being as accurate as you can while marking your measurements and cutting your pipe chimes will help keep your set sounding in tune. Keep in mind this is not a professional set and even the wall thickness of the conduit varies slightly so you might hear a few notes that are slightly off.
Make Your Own Pipe Chime Bag
Making a pipe chime carrying or storage bag is simple and easy to do. Only a small amount of fabric, ribbon and thread is required with no special or complicated stitches and can easily be done on a basic sewing machine with basic sewing knowledge. You can even put your own twist on it and make it truly your own with colorful fabrics, thread, ribbons buttons, etc.
If you’d rather purchase a pre-made pipe chime bag, you can pick one up for only $5.
Download these free pipe chime carrying bag instructions.